Airbox by Emtel is currently being offered using two completely different technologies, the first being FTTA (Air by Globtel) and the second (LTE/4G). The 20Mbps and 30Mbps speed plans are only available on FTTA while the 10Mbps package is available on both FTTA and 4G LTE.
Whenever you order the 10Mbps package, request to be put on the LTE/4G network instead of FTTA even if you’re within FTTA coverage. LTE/4G is and will always be a better technology.
LTE/4G is backed by billions of dollars in Research & Development. LTE/4G will always triumph over any other wireless technologies. After all, we are a small island, LTE-A in 900Mhz, 1800Mhz and 2600Mhz band can definitely compete with fibre. TRI-BAND LTE-A/4G+ is the future.,
OPT FOR LTE/4G Airbox.
Back on topic, you will require an Android phone with 4G, the LTE Discovery app, a paper and a pen.
From your Android phone, download LTE Discovery app from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.simplyadvanced.ltediscovery&hl=en
After the app has been installed, follow the steps below.
- Launch LTE Discovery app on your smartphone.
- Navigate to each window of your house
- At each window, note down on the piece of paper the LTE network strength together with the location of the window.
- After you have been through all windows, look at the table below.
- Place your Huawei modem near the window with Good or Excellent LTE Quality.
The table referred in Step 4.
|LTE/4G Quality||Net Strength|
|Excellent||-51 to -70 dBm|
|Good||-71 to -90 dBm|
|Shit||-91 to -120 dBm|
Always aim for “Good” or even “Excellent”. If your LTE Quality is shit, cancel your service and move to another service provider.
Below are two speed tests performed at -89 dBm on both Orange and Emtel LTE/4G network.
- If you’re not receiving 4G, only 3G, cancel your service.
- Signal strength is always better the higher you place your phone/modem, so start from the highest floor in your house. (Indoor not outdoor)